Mary Pilling of Withington, Lancashire bought land to the east of Norwich off Harvey Lane, for £2000 and gave it to Norwich City Council in memory of her father Jeremiah Woodrow who had left Norwich in 1829 but had fond memories of the city.
The Corporation were to maintain it in perpetuity and to name it the Jeremiah Woodrow Recreation Ground. She wanted the playing ground to be for young people of both sexes, without any limit to age and wanted it to be for the benefit of young people having left school and to be available for tennis. She also wanted a small piece set aside for young children with sand hills for them to dig in.
The park opened in 1929.
See Correspondence and draft conveyance at the Norfolk Record Office NRO, N/TC 52/26